First attempt making black bean brownies and I was very impressed! I've been wanting to make black bean brownies for a while now and I'm very glad I tried them! I used avocado in place of butter/oil and used half maple syrup and half brown sugar. I tried to use no sugar and just maple syrup but they were just not sweet enough for me so I ended up adding in a little bit of brown sugar.
These brownies are definitely gooey and "fudgey" and surprisingly you would never know that they are flour-less and packed with black beans! The texture is very similar to regular brownies, I would say they are even more fudgey and soft! For a family who loves our chocolate, everyone liked these brownies! I made them guess what was different and no one guessed that they had black beans in them!
I absolutely LOVE healthy baking and putting a healthy spin on all the classic baked goods! I love experimenting with different ingredients and swapping out ingredients for healthier substitutes! This was definitely an experiment making these brownies but the turned out quite nicely!!
I did use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips in these brownies but these brownies can easily be made dairy-free by substituting the chocolate chips for dairy-free ones! These brownies are also gluten free and oil free! I'm not a huge fan of nuts in my brownies but they could easily be added!
Black Bean Avocado Brownies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yields: 20 medium sized brownies
1 + 1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add all ingredients to food processor or blender (except for chocolate chips) and blend well. Blend until smooth. Add a splash of almond milk if it is not mixing.
3. Grease a 9x9 pan and pour in batter.
4. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of batter.
5. Place pan in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
6. Once cooked, remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes to cool.
7. Cut around edges and cut brownie into squares. Serve and enjoy!