Orange Zest Granola
Have you ever looked at the ingredients in store bought granola? They are usually filled with added sugars, fats and oil! That is why I love making my own granola with wholesome ingredients and with no added sugar! This orange zest granola is naturally sweetened and flavoured with orange juice and orange peel and let me tell you, adding orange to granola is a game changer! This granola was so tasty that I found myself snacking it right from the container on the counter! Along with eating it right from the container, this granola is delicious on yogurt and berries as well as on top of apple slices with peanut butter.
I love making granola because you can throw in all your favourite dried fruit and nuts! I love trying different combinations. This was my first time adding sprouted buckwheat to my granola and I will definitely add it to more of my granola recipes! It added a nice crunch to the granola! I love crunch and a lot of texture in my granola so I loved the addition of the buckwheat. It is important to put in any dried fruit after toasting the granola in the oven. My first attempt when creating this recipe I put the goji berries in the oven with the rest of the granola and they ended up swelling up and burning. The second try I figured out the trick to add them in at the end after the granola was cooled from the oven. I have not tried this with raisins or cranberries but would assume they would also burn. So my tip would be to always put them in at the end to avoid burning them.
It is important to keep a close eye on your granola while cooking because it can burn easily! I cook my granola on a lower heat to prevent from burning or getting too dark and I pull out my granola to turn it over and give it a stir on the pan approximately every 5 minutes. Granola is definitely not something you can stick in the oven and run off and do something around the house and pull out when its done. You definitely need to be by the oven to keep a close eye.
Orange Zest Granola - Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yields: 4 cups
1/2 cup sprouted buckwheat
1/2 cup whole pecans
1/2 cup whole cashews
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 cups large flake oats
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
Juice from 1/2 orange
Peel from 1 orange
1/2 cup goji berries
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. In large bowl, mix together pecans, cashews, oats, buckwheat and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a medium sized pot, add vanilla, maple syrup, coconut oil and orange juice.
4. Over medium heat, stir mixture and bring to light bowl.
5. Remove from heat and add to nut and oat mixture. Gently stir until mixture is fully coated.
6. Use a cheese grater and grate the peel from one orange.
7. Add peel to mixture and stir. Place on lined baking sheet.
8. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until oats are golden brown. Mix the granola on the pan every 5 minutes to make sure it cooks evenly and doesn't burn.
9. Remove from oven.
10. Add in goji berries and more orange peel (optional).
11. Let sit to cool. Once cooled, place the granola in a container and store.