Pumpkin Bran Muffins
Who said healthy eating can't taste good?? These healthy pumpkin bran muffins are both sugar and oil free and still taste amazing!
By substituting maple syrup and apple sauce for sugar and oil in a recipe, you still end up with the same tasty and moist treat just healthier! I personally enjoy these muffins warm and spread on some vanilla yogurt for a little something extra! I find this makes the perfect breakfast or snack and goes great with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea in the morning!
I love making a large batch of muffins and enjoying them the next few days on their own or on top of my yogurt and fruit bowls. I always keep any extra muffins and place them in the freezer to pull out for a quick snack or breakfast! I freeze them individually in ziplock bags and leave them on the counter to thaw for an hour before eating them. They are also easy to pull out of the freezer and take to work or to school or on the go! By the time I get to work or school they are usually thawed!
These muffins are simple to make and are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 12-14 mins
1 cup pure pumpkin puree
2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 large egg
1/3 up unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup wheat bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp milled flaxseed
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1. Mix together all wet ingredients (pumpkin, yogurt, apple sauce, maple syrup, vanilla)
2. In separate bowl combine all dry ingredients (bran, flour, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices).
3. Slowly add dry mixture to wet and stir.
4. Place mixture into a lined muffin tin. Fill each liner approximately 3/4 full of batter.
5. Press slivered almonds and large flake oats on top (or desired toppings) and place in oven.
6. Cook for 12-14 minutes on 425 degrees.
7. Once golden brown, remove from oven and place on cooing rack and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
8. Enjoy warm or let cool for 20 minutes and place in container to store or place in ziplocks bags and place in freezer.